Former Douai School
The main entrance & tower, seen from the road coming from Woolhampton
Village. These buildings were constructed in 1888 in the Tudor Gothic
style; the architect was Frederick Walters. On the left detail of the
statues of Our Lady and St John|
In 1786 the Earl of Fingall, the squire of Woolhampton sold his Woolhampton estate and moved to Ireland. His family had been recusant catholics and had maintained a chapel and chaplain at Woolhampton House (now Elstree School). On leaving the neighbourhood he left his chaplain to minister to the local Catholics and endowed him with some seven acres of lands and some cottages. Three of these cottages stood on the site of this entrance tower, and in one of these Woolhampton Lodge, the priest lived and had a chapel.
In 1829 Fr Stephen Dambrine was appointed to Woolhampton.
He established a school and embarked on a building programme which
chapel in the Gothic style opened in 1833 to replace the chapel
in Woolhampton Lodge, and which itself was replaced by the present
These pictures show the oldest part of the buildings of the original school, which came to be known as St Mary's College, dating from around 1830, and seen from the quadrangle: and a detail of the statue of the Blessed Virgin which is above the doorway.
A view of these buildings from the other side, showing on the far right the 1936 building and between the two the additions of 1908.
To continue the tour
|Back to LOOK AROUND||Back to WELCOME and INDEX|