Latest News - Douai Abbey: The Monastery of St Edmund, King & Martyr

Go to content

» Historical Bits and Bobs

Douai Abbey: The Monastery of St Edmund, King & Martyr
Published by in News · 24 October 2016
» Recently four tiles from the floor of the sanctuary in the abbey church at old Stanbrook Abbey were mounted and framed together and are now displayed outside the monks' refectory at Douai. They had been bought at the auction held by the nuns of Stanbrook in 2006 as they moved to Wass in Yorkshire. These bespoke glazed encaustic tiles, bearing a representation of the Medal of St Benedict, are from the famous Minton tile works at Stoke-on-Trent to a design by E W Pugin at considerable expense, the gift of Dame Marcella Plowden prior to the dedicaton of the abbey church on 6 September 1871. Given the strong links between Stanbrook and Douai in the last half century, these serve as a worthy memorial to old Stanbrook.


» Last Thursday Fr Abbot attended a lecture at the Society of Antiquaries on the Ardagh Chalice, a 9-th century example of the finest Celtic metalwork, a copy of which is in Douai Abbey's possession. On the Saturday following he was at our parish of St Gregory at Stratford-upon-Avon on the occasion of the festal Mass to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the church's dedication.






 DIVINE OFFICE & MASS
- All services are in the abbey church -
0620 - Matins & Lauds (English)
0745 - Weekday Conventual Mass
(1100 - Sunday Conventual Mass)
1250 - Midday Office (English)
1800 - Vespers (Latin Gregorian Chanrt)
2000 - Compline (English, Weds in Latin)
-No public Compline on Sundays/Holy Days-
LOCATION
Douai Abbey
Upper Woolhampton
Reading, Berkshire
RG7 5TQ, United Kingdom

Visitor Enquiries: 0118 9715 399


Funeral
Published by HSK - 11/11/2019
Mid-Autumn News
Published by - 4/11/2019
Other News
Published by HSK - 30/10/2019
Fr Nicholas' Funeral
Published by HSK - 23/10/2019
LATEST NEWS
Privacy Policy
Back to content